Traffic Ticket Point System
Our state possesses a method for the penalization of traffic offenses in which every violation is assigned a point value under two different systems. The first system involves one’s drivers’ license. This system is used by the Division of Motor Vehicles in order to determine when a person’s drivers’ license should be suspended after the accumulation of a certain amount of points. The second system involves one’s car insurance. This system is part of the Safe Driver Insurance Plan (SDIP), a plan that establishes “classes” of drivers based upon their history of accidents and traffic violation convictions. When a person is convicted of a traffic violation, they have points assessed on their insurance which serve to increase their insurance premiums by a certain percentage. Examples of the insurance point system include:
- 1 point – Speeding 10 mph or less over a limit of less than 55 mph
- 2 points – Speeding 10 mph or more over a limit of 55 mph to 76 mph, driving on the wrong side of the road
- 4 points – Reckless driving, failing to stop and report when involved in an accident that causes property damage only
- 8 points – Driving with a suspended or revoked license
- 10 points – Racing on the highway, speeding to elude law enforcement
- 12 points – Vehicular manslaughter, pre-arranged highway racing, driving while under the influence of alcohol
Examples of the drivers’ license point system include:
- 1 point – Littering that involves the use or operation of a motor vehicle
- 2 points – Failing to restrain a child with a seatbelt or child seat, all other moving violations
- 3 points – Running through a red light or stop sign, failing to report an accident
- 4 points – Hit and run accidents involving property damage only, reckless driving
- 5 points – Passing a stopped school bus
If you have been ticketed for a traffic violation, contact us so we can defend you against the assessment of points on your drivers’ license or insurance.
Defense Against Traffic Ticket Points
Law Offices of J.M. Kotzker, P.C. provides legal defense against basic traffic violations for individuals in Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. We work tirelessly for each client we represent in an effort to secure positive results on their behalf. We’ll aggressively defend you against your traffic ticket in order to reduce the likelihood of points affecting your drivers’ license or insurance premiums.
Dedicated Legal Counsel
Our determined legal team has helped individuals and families with thousands of traffic ticket and criminal cases and assisted countless others with their differing legal needs. Serving clients throughout The Triangle of Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill, we fight aggressively to help those in need. We offer a free consultation and affordable rates to help you pursue the just outcome you deserve.