Raleigh Skyline


We'll negotiate and pursue the best resolution to your case!

Frequently Asked Questions

Can an attorney really make a difference in my situation?

Without an attorney, your options are to pay your fine and accept the consequences that follow what amounts to an admission of guilt, or fight by yourself to try to avoid them.  This is seldom productive as it takes an experienced lawyer and their knowledge of the law and legal system to develop a solid defense.  An attorney can defend you in the courtroom and negotiate out of the courtroom to pursue the best resolution to your case.

Can I just pay the ticket?

Many times, the answer to this question is no. If you were charged with speeding in excess of 16 mph over the speed limit, or driving in excess of 80 mph, you have actually been charged with a misdemeanor crime that is punishable by jail time.  As such, the court will require that you not only appear in court, but that you hire your own lawyer or qualify for a public defender by proving your financial status.  But we can help because when you hire us, we can go to court for you and depending on the facts of your case and your driving record, we should be able to resolve your case so that you will not be convicted of a crime and in many situations, not even accrue insurance points.

How does the point system work and how does it affect me?

North Carolina has a dual points system for both insurance points and DMV points.  When you are convicted of a traffic violation, you may accrue both DMV points against your driver’s license as well as insurance points, which will result in substantial increases to your insurance premiums.  After a certain amount of points have accrued, your license will be suspended.  Similarly, convictions apply for certain offenses, which are taken into account by insurance companies and used to determine your premium.  You can suffer severe increases in your rates as a result of one traffic incident. In both cases, the number of points applied depends on the magnitude of the violation and its effects.  We will always pursue an acquittal whenever possible, but where conviction is unavoidable, we will seek to have the charges against you changed to eliminate or reduce the points that are accrued.

Is there any way I can get my license back?

There are several ways the team at Law Offices of J.M. Kotzker, P.C., can help to have your license reinstated.  Following some DWI arrests, after 10 days you may pay a civil revocation fee to obtain a limited driving privilege if you meet certain conditions.  These include enrolling for substance abuse treatment as required and proving you have current liability insurance.  This will remain in place until your case is concluded, at which time it will be reviewed. We can fight for an acquittal or case dismissal which will automatically salvage your license, or fight for your right to drive at a DMV hearing.  In certain other conditions we may be able to assist you to obtain a hardship license.

What forms of payment do you take?

We take all debit and credit cards, as well as most payment apps such as Apple Pay, Venmo and more. Certain types of cases may qualify for payment plans.

Contact The Law Offices of J.M. Kotzker Today

We have over 30 years of experience defending Raleigh residents against all types of traffic and criminal offenses.

We know the law and we will use our knowledge to defend your driving record, fight for your rights, and work to get your ticket or criminal case reduced or dismissed completely.

Call us at  919-439-5104 or fill out the form to contact us now for immediate help.